Wednesday 19 March 2008

Chrism Mass

Yesterday was largely taken up with the Chrism Mass. For those of you who don't know this is when the clergy of the Diocese gather together, renew their commitment to their ministry and celebrate the Eucharist with their Bishop before the Triduum and receive the Holy Oils for anointing those to be baptized, the sick, and those being baptized, confirmed and ordained. This last oil is the oil of Chrism - thus the tradition name for this celebration. Sometimes the day can feel like a bit of a chore - simply something that has to be done - but at its best it is a very symbolic occasion, and a time for prayerful renewal. St Saviour's Eastbourne is a stunningly beautiful Church which reminds me a bit of All Saint's, Boyne Hill where I spent so many formative years as a child and young man and I was especially struck by the lovely frescoes of the Doctor's of the Church. Bishop John preached well and encouraged us not to neglect our own spiritual life as clergy - something which many clergy struggle with in the midst of the busyness of ministry. Will the CARM process encourage us to make time to be still and pray - I hope so though I think inevitably with its measurable targets it will the practical... I was especially struck by Bishop John quoting Augustine while standing directly beneath the fresco of that Holy Doctor. Members of the parish will know from frequent sermon references that Augustine is my favourite of the Fathers. It was also good to catch up with my training incumbent Fr Roger Russell SSC who was himself a good model of a prayerful priest to me during my curacy.

No comments: